Thursday, January 24, 2008

Learning to be Nicaraguan....

So I am back. In Nicaragua that is. After four months of living and working in the United States I decided to come back down to Nica and live my life here for a while. I've been here two weeks and it has been great to be back. I feel very comfortable and after some initial bumps in the road I feel like I am starting to get back into life here.

To clarify the title a bit....I am in no way trying to be Nicaraguan, but it is sort of like the saying, "When in Rome....do as the Romans do." I often try to do the best i can to fit into the culture in little ways, by changing the way I dress, by using slang and uniquely Nicaraguan words and phrases and by conducting myself in a manner that I know is culturally appropriate. I in no way am misguided enough to think that anything I could possibly do would make me any less foreign, but it at least makes me feel like I am less invasive somehow in this country.

One of the things I have not attempted in my time here is to cook Nicaraguan food. I have always figured that I could purchase food on the street or at a restaurant and it would be absolutely superior to anything that I could try to concoct with Nicaraguan food items. Well, sometimes you have to change with the times, and now that I am here on a bit more of a permanent basis and I don't have much money and am currently unsure of my job situation I have to find ways to save. Buying food at the supermarket is expensive and often the items that I would cook with in the United States are more expensive still. So last night rather than going to the Supermarket I decided to use what I could find right around me and attempt a very Nicaraguan supper of gallo pinto (beans and rice mixed together, usually with onion and pepper), fried plantains and fried eggs. I was a bit nervous because although it doesn't sound difficult, the right amount of oil, the temperature of the pan, the quantity of beans as compared to rice, are all important aspects of getting truly authentic Nicaraguan food. Luckily both my boyfriend and I were pleasantly surprised at the results of my faux Nicaraguan cooking and I think he won't ban me from cooking his food just quite yet.

1 Comments:

Blogger Aleida Auld said...

Emily, You came to my mind today, and I decided to check out your blog...strange. You have just returned to Nicaragua! (I didn't know you left...) You have a boyfriend! (Who is it?) Are you working there?

I have left quite a few messages for you on this blog, but never received a response. If you have even a moment to send a quick email, I would appreciate it so much, as well as an update on our friends at JHC (Josue? Rogelio? Margarita? Nubia?)

A dear friend of mine arrived there in December to work with the Jesuit Volunteer Corp, just incase you ever meet a red-haired "Miguel" at a Ben Linder meeting...

Peace to you, hope to hear from you, and eat lots of fresh mangos!
Aleida

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home